Monday, May 24, 2010

Gotta Love Quesadillas!



Last night I was chatting with my sister-in-law about cheap, easy, take-along food. Fitting all of those criteria is ridiculously tricky, but I promise you I'm going to find something. Several somethings. So I'm starting with quesadillas. Today I made Abby a pretty darn healthy-ish quesadilla, and it was easy peasy. I stuffed it with a little bit of rotisserie chicken, pico de gallo, and black beans (glued up with some monterrey jack cheese). The cheese adds fat but also protein. That's a tricky one to tackle on a cheesy day, so I'm not going to go there quite yet. But I will tell you that I have switched from cheese quesadillas to throwing sneaky stuff in there. It's kind of a vessel to hide stuff in. And though I don't go over the top with the healthy thing, you could do whole wheat tortillas. You could do spray butter, but I just don't do all that. Even given those things I'd have to say that I'm pretty smug with myself for this little lunch for several reasons:

1. I'm using leftovers! The beans and pico de gallo are from two nights ago (and now have a new life!). The rotisserie is something I picked up thinking I could pick it over and make several things out of it. And I think it's going to work out.
2. The stuff I shoved in there is all good stuff.
3. She's actually eating it.
4. I'm able to blog this while she's eating it. Go me!
5. It's dead cheap. Tortillas and cheese... you don't get much cheaper than that. Beyond that, throw in whatever you have on hand that can boost it.
6. It's easy.
7. It's portable.
8. My kids love to help make them. Even if they just sprinkle the cheese they think they helped.

So yay for quesadillas!

Here are some tips for keeping them healthy. And here is a fabulous looking recipe that I will be making really really soon. Maybe for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment