Friday, May 21, 2010

The Might Mango


Guess what?! Mangoes are stinkin' cheap right now. 2 for $0.88 at HEB yesterday. So I got a bunch. And they're fruit, so I figured they were healthy. But I had no idea how healthy until I did my little research for the day. Get this:

Low in calories and high in dietary fibre, mangoes are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. Recent studies suggest they are also powerful cancer-fighters.

But that's just the chosen blurb. The rest of the article spells out that they are also ridiculously high in vitamin C (25% for the day) and potassium and a bunch of other good stuff. Now, I don't really know why potassium is all that great for you, but I know that it is. And that'll just have to be a topic for another day. But as for now, I know you should eat mangoes. The kids loved loved loved them just all by themselves. But if you want to do something with them, here are a few ideas from my favorite foodie site, Tasty Kitchen:

Mango Blackberry Salad with Honey Lemon Drizzle

Honey Lime Grilled Chicken Salad
Easy Mango Salsa; the ketchup makes me nervous, but to each his own.
Mango Mojito; you know I only care about your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment