Monday, May 31, 2010

Guacamole


When it comes to Guac and avocados in general there are traditionally two camps of mamas. The first say that avocados are too fattening to deal with. The second claim that the nutritional benefits are worth it. Gosh, I'm part of each. I find myself saying over and over again on this blog that moderation is the key. Unfortunately moderation is not my strong suit, so I mostly have to steer clear. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good:
It contains more potassium than bananas, is the richest source of Beta-sitosterol, which blocks cholesterol absorption, as well as of antioxidants. The kinds of fat in avocados are all "good" fats and Californian avocados have higher fat contents than Florida's ones.

Calories in 1 cup of Guacamole made of avocados with raw onions, garlic, and lemon juice*: 367.53 and are almost entirely from fats though there's no cholesterol at all.


And all the nutritional label can be found in this article. And I must admit that it's quite impressive.

The Bad and The Ugly are one and the same. They are loaded with fat. Yeah, yeah, yeah it's the good kind. Whatever. If you eat more than the tiniest bit on a regular basis it will make you chubby unless you run marathons on a regular basis also. If you're a Weight Watchers gal you'll know what I mean when I tell you that one avocado contains 8 POINTS. That's alot.

So this one is an individual choice. It totally depends on your self control if you have a weakness for the stuff. But I have a tendency to say "It's healthy, right?" and chow down. If you can keep it together you should totally try and feed your family guacamole. Me? I better keep it to festive holidays and marathon days. Ha! I don't run marathons.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me to read this while eating a salad chock full of avo!! But Im with you good fat is better than bad fat! Bring on the avo!

    ReplyDelete