Friday, May 28, 2010
There are one million ways to make smoothies, some healthier than others. Lazy as I am, I opted for the easiest possible route first. I bought a bag of smoothie mix and added milk, just like it said. I headed for the freezer section and bought a smoothie bag by Yoplait. I was in a crazy hurry, Abby throwing a royal fit. So I grabbed and left without totally analyzing the label. Here's the good stuff:
1. It's crazy easy. That's valuable to me. Big time.
2. There is a full serving of fruit in a cup.
3. High in Vitamin C because of the berries.
4. High in Calcium because of the milk.
5. Live active cultures from the yogurt. Live active cultures sounds a little creepy to me, but apparently it's a good thing. It aids in digestion.
Here's the bad:
1. While fruit, water, and yogurt make up half of the ingredient list (way up at the top; that's a good thing), they are followed by some unknown substances. That's really starting to bug me. So maybe I'll try a different way another day. And then maybe I'll go nuts and start putting some new-to-me things in there. Molly posted some excellent ideas in the comment section of the juice post.
The verdict: Will ate it like there was no tomorrow. Abby mostly wore it, the mess that she is. I ate it (yum) and gave Abby a bath as she was purple. I don't know if I would by it again. There was another discussion in the fruit post about benefits of fruit and liquids vs. the chemicals we sometimes have to use to get our kids to consume them. I'm on a quest to find an easy and healthier alternative. I'll keep ya posted.
And now for two completely random topics:
1. Thanks, you guys, for all the great comments. I love how interactive this is becoming. I love to hear the different thoughts and questions. I don't know all the answers being totally new to this endeavor, so I'm learning alot from the research and from you.
2. If you happen to live in Houston, tomorrow is the Flavor Fest at Discovery Green and we'll be there cause we like to eat. :)
Posted by BethCupitt at 8:04 AM